Saturday, April 18, 2009

When is a good time to switch jobs after your first job out of college?

This is my first job out of college in the corproate world. I've been here for almost 2 months. There are alot of reasons why I want to switch jobs. My commute can be 4 hours round trip, I'm underpaid, company culture, etc. I heard that since I'm just starting a career I can switch jobs in 6 months. I just dont want my new employer to think I jump job to job.


You should put in the six months first. Less shows lack of stability in the corporate world.

I waited 3 years in a cruddy corp environment, waiting to be promoted, busting my butt and putting up with a sick commute. Dont wait too much time because you will age 15 years in a quarter of the time in a job you hate. But I wouldn't jump ship for at least a year, then you can say too prospective employers you were there a year, gave it your best and decided it was not a good fit.

Try looking around for a new job. You can spend 15-30 minutes every day, and you'll get a job. It's easier to get a new job if you have a job already. If you get hired despite only working at the current job for two months, then it's ok, as long as you resolve to stay at the new place for longer. And if it takes four months to find a new job

A four hour commute is too long. Try to find somewhere close to home or move closer to your workplace. Find out a lot about your new job before you accept it, hopefully be asking some people who already work there whether it's a good job. Don't accept a lower salary (since you're already underpaid) and go for a shorter commute! You can do it.

If you have lost your passion for the job and it sounds like you have it is better to look for something else to do now. It is easier to get another job while you are still working.

You could just tell your future employer that you are looking for something closer to home and they will understand.

When you get a better offer. Send out the resume.

If you're not promoted by 2 1/2 years, maker a lateral move within the company or outside the company.

when the money is better

No comments:

Post a Comment