Friday, April 17, 2009

What kind of job does Mechanical Engineer can have?

I'm a grad student, and My major is mechanical engineering technology. I'm planning to graduate in May 2008. I'm also working on a project with ESD (Electronic System Department). I'm wondering after I graduate what kind of job I can get in industry for mechanical engineer. As I know, the EE and CS students are the most popular applicant right now. Could someone tell me what mechanical engineer can do any area in industry? Welcome to write some comments and opinion. Thanks!


You are kidding, right?

I mean, you are a grad, and you do not know? Have you ever met with someone in the industry? Spoken with your teachers? Met with a former student who is working?

I could fill BOOKS about what mechanical engineers do, but instead I will just ask you to look around. Anything that moves, anything that has to bear a load in a cyclical fashion, and anything that was made to made those things had to be designed by a mechanical engineer at a point or another.

Sizing, material selection, cost analysis, manufacturing process, that is what mechanical engineers do. It is so rich and varied that you can dislike 90% of things mechanical engineers do, and still have too many things you like to choose from.

I am really surprised that you do not know. Honest. When I decided to become an engineer 30 years ago, it is because I knew what the work was. That knowledge came BEFORE I went into university.

Wikipedia has a good section on mechanical engineering that should be useful. Also, check out http://www.interec.net/jobsearch/mechanical.html - good mechanical engineering job search site.

Mechanical and chemical industries are the core industries..So they are mainly manufacturing units..As a mechanical engineer you can work in 2 ways..One office work..doing calculations.and other is plant and field work..Later is a difficult one as it includes harsh environment...Though job opportunities may be considerably low...But its a steady field compared with IT or comps...You can do major in many areas after your grad like piping etc..

No comments:

Post a Comment