Friday, April 17, 2009

How to answer Salary questions on Job application?

I have been talking to an employer for 3-4 months now. I have been asked to visit them for a (final) in-person interview in early January. I have already been through several layers of phone interviews, but no salary discussions yet.

I have previously provided the company with a copy of my resume. Today they have asked me to fill out a job application. The application has a section on previous history together with the begining and ending salary information.

I was wondering MUST I fill out the salary sections, or can I just leave the salary fields blank since I do not want them to make me an offer based on what I am earning currently or what have earned in the past.

Obviously, I want to earn significantly more than my current job, but if I put my current salary on my resume, they might use it as a reference point, or even, only make a similar matching offer.

I realize that unlike a resume, an application is a legal document and I can only write facts on it.


Most companies will demand the salary info so that they can verify it.

Hate to tell you but your offer usually IS based on your prior salary and work history.

If the company extends an offer you aren't happy with, you can always counter-offer. Just make sure you tack a couple thousand annually extra to give them more room to counter, your counter. Professional business people almost always counter the initial salary offer, that is just business.

You must tell the truth; if you leave blanks on the application they may decide to disregard your application completely. I would research what is being paid to people in that particular job. Armed with my facts, I would go in and discuss my salary needs. If you are asking more than the average there needs to be a reason for it. If they ask why they should pay you this, can you answer them secure in the knowledge that you are worth the extra money? If they make an offer that is comparable to what you are being paid now are the benefits better? Will you have a chance to rise through the company? Will they mentor you? These are all things you need to consider before you say yes or no.

List Negotiable on the application.

Trust me. I've reviewed hundreds of applications and this is very common and acceptable. Only talk salary upon being offered the position. If they ask you and you say it is negotiable but they ask you to provide a range, say something like, "in my research I've found that postions such as this pay from $$$$ to $$$$.

You will have far more leverage if you wait until the offer.

I would put the salaries on there but in your final interview that is when you will really have to sell yourself to them. Make sure you have rehearsed what you are going to say and give them reasons why you are worth more. It is all about salesmen ship.

Honestly, do a comparison on http://www.salary.com ... and follow the online instructions ... you should use those results as leverage on where your salary should be ... for example.

... I live 45 minutes north of Chicago ... commute to Chicago is HELL ... an average electronic technician makes around 38K to 45K ... adding my education ... I should be making from 43K to 51K ... I asked for 42K ... and I got it ...

... it's all checks and balances ... do some research.

Your situation is eerily similar to mine. I've been talking to a company over the phone for the past month. I still have to go through a third phone interview, a test, and possibly an in-person interview in mid January.

Yes, fill out the salary sections. But don't talk about salary until they either ask you or offer you the job and provide the salary. At that point, you SHOULD negotiate your salary, unless they offer something higher than what you had in mind.

Good luck.

this is exactly why the employer wants to know what you are making. I think you are stuck here because, if you do not tell them, they will find it very paculiar and look into it and still find out.

And usually the employer asks you how much do you want to make at that position

try that site it can help you http://sratim.interview.hop.clickbank add .net in the end

You need to answer all the questions or they may not consider you for the position. When you discuss salary, make sure you let them know what you want.

In Getting to Yes, the author stated that when negotiating, it is best to use objective standards. In your case, you can do some research to find out what others in your position are getting. Ask your friends and relatives from the same industry. In any case, always justify your bid by referring to objective standards. And don't forget to ask your employer to justify their offer as well. Ask what standard they use to come up with the offer.

No comments:

Post a Comment