Friday, April 17, 2009

How long does the average teenager keep a part-time job? Is 11 months good or should I keep it for longer?

How long does the average teenager keep a part-time job? Is 11 months good or should I keep it for longer?

I'm entering college in the fall and might like to change jobs when I start my first semester. I will have had the job for one year at that point. I know that employers like to see a steadiness in previous employment, but is one year good? Also, what is a good way to leave a job without burning any bridges?


11 - 12 months is good; you are young and employers expect that you will have several job changes through your college years. At this point you are simply building work experience, not a career history.

The way you leave a job is with a written notice (usually two weeks.) Something along these lines is sufficient:

Dear Mr./Ms. Boss,

Please accept this letter as my notice of resignation, effective (date.) I will be returning to school.

Thank you for the opportunities you have given me.

I have enjoyed my time with Company A, and wish you and everyone here continued success.

Regards,

You

Have a great time in college!

Honestly I'd keep your job and that way if you come home on the weekends or on breaks you'll have a job; just let your boss know. You can also keep a job nearby your school. 11 months is actually a long time for teenagers. So you probably have a good head on your shoulders.

Keeping your job is a decision that you are ultimatley going to have to decide on your own.

With that said, if you are going to be seeking employment after you leave your job, you may want to consider keeping the one you have. Your current employer may be understanding of your college schedule and may be willing to work with you, and around it. I work with several college students through the summer, and then place them on the schedule according to their schedules and my department needs. There are many employers who work with students!

11 months is a good for your applications/resumes for future jobs. It shows that you are consistent. If you choose to leave your current job, talk to your manager about it, explain your circumstances. Go in prepared and state the facts.

No comments:

Post a Comment