Friday, April 17, 2009

If I wanted to get a job as a copy editer, where should I start my job search?

I enjoy reading, and I am analytical, so I thought this might be a good job for me.


I am a freelance writer and editor so I know how you feel. I'd like to know a little more about your education and work experience, however there are a few tips I can give that would work for anyone:

1. Continue to read as much as you can. Anything and everything. Look at everything from brochures to bestsellers and think about what you would change and why.

2. Own the Chicago Manual of Style and the 2008 Writer's Market. Chicago is great for knowing the intricacies of editing. Writer's Market lists almost every publisher in the industry along with contact information.

3. Volunteer to write and edit for your favorite non-profit organization. That is how I started. I built up my portfolio and helped a great cause all at the same time.

4. Consider unpaid internships in the field. This will give you the practical work experience that is necessary in the field. Also, if you don't have a BA in English or a related field, get one. Even a community college degree will go along way in helping you find the right job. Plus you can edit your school's newspaper for experience.

5. Look at websites such as www.guru.com and www.writerdigest.com for freelance work to help pay the bills and build your portfolio.

6. Figure out what kind of copy editor you want to be and where. Newspaper, magazine, publishing house, etc. Then focus on building a relationship with your top choices (see #4).

7. Finally, keep searching on job sites such as Careerbuilder and Hotjobs. Also look at the corporate websites of the places you want to work. Don't give up or get rejected. Depending on your area of focus, the industry can be difficult to break into. I have an acquaintance who works for a major New York publishing house. She makes $22,000 a year at her full time job and has to waitress and night to pay bills. Still, she loves her job and there are good days ahead for her. Put in the time and effort and you will succeed.

If you are seeking more local opportunities (newspapers, general businesses, etc.) there are a lot more opportunites available to you.

Good luck!

You should start with a dictionary, because copy editOrs need to know how to spell.

No comments:

Post a Comment