Friday, April 17, 2009

How do interviews work in a long-distance job search?

I'm a college student who's graduating in June, and I'm planning on moving cross-country soon afterwards. I'd really like to have a job lined up before I move. I don't know much about job searching, but I've always been told that first you send in your resume along with a cover letter requesting an interview. I know how to find openings online and send my resume, but I have no idea how the interview step is supposed to work. As far as I know, my options are:

1. Ask for a phone interview (I could do this, but I think I present myself better in person)

2. Plan on flying over there for interviews sometime before June (I'd have to miss class, so I'd rather not do this)

3. Ask the companies if they'll wait until June to interview me (but like I said, I'd rather get the job before I move)

So what should I do? Do companies ever hire people without an interview? Also, should I request one of these options in my cover letter, or just explain my situation and let them say what they want to do?


You should interview as soon as possible, so I'd pass on #3, since it may take a company a long time to get back to you after the interview anyway. Although if you are the right candidate they may come back to you sooner, but as long as you specify when you can start they will know at the beginning.

Most companies will likely phone interview you briefly first, at least to get a feel for your speaking and interests. Then they would want to have you come out if they are still considering you. You would also want to see the place too, since you never know if you will be comfortable or not unless you see it. I interviewed at one place and didn't like the way they set the office up so if I had taken a job there without knowing that I'd feel really weird about it.

Since you are just graduating, most companies will realize you may be moving and would not be local for interviews.

Companies always interview, unless it is a very entry level job where they just need a worker.

Yeah usually they start off with phone interveiws and then if they feel youre right theyll ask you to fly or drive out for a face to face extensive interveiw and theyll probably have you meet with every one that day (inlike when you are interveiwing for a job in town they ask you to come back and meet with the other managers or what ever) and then theyll figure it from there

Oh and I forgot, some will hold the postion open for a week or two longer than they planned to give you time to move out that way. some just say to give them a call when youre in/around town

It really depends on the job. We will do phone interviews, or a video interview where we can see the person and they can see us. Then if the canidate is a good prospect they will need to fly out for an interview.

It would be best for you to save enough money to live on for one month, send out resumes and cover letters and state when you will be there and available for an interview.

This is pretty much up to the company. You should expect that there will be a phone interview. The preliminary phone interview is the norm for most jobs. The latest thing in some firms is the video conference interview, where the applicant goes to a video conference facility for the interview.

You should make it clear in your cover letter the date you are graduating and the date you would be available to begin work. The majority of companies will accommodate your schedule of classes. For certain jobs, like executives, attorneys, cpa etc., the company may have procedures set where they fly you to them. Some companies who routinely hire college graduates will send in a representative to your area to do multiple interviews.

The company you apply to will probably have its own policies on interviewing out of state applicants. You need to be flexible and work with the HR rep on this. Good luck.

No comments:

Post a Comment