Friday, April 17, 2009

How do I apply for another job without letting my current employer know I intend to leave?

I am looking for another job right now, and I know that on my resume or application I have to list previous employers. If I don't get the job, I will be stuck with my employer who will be suspicious of me thinking I am trying to leave. Is there any way to get around this, or am I just being paranoid?


It is not uncommon for applicants to simply state that they would prefer that his/her current employer not be contacted. Employers should always respect that. Explain honestly on the application that you believe that it might interfere with your chances for promotion in the future if your current employer knew you were looking elsewhere. Or simply state that you feel it would interfere with your current relationship with your employer and leave it at that. I've been involved on both sides of this fence, and honesty is always the best policy. One more thing, prospective employers usually ask when you will be available. By telling them 2 weeks from their decision date, you are not only doing the right thing by your current employer, but you are telling your prospective new employers that you care about the needs of others, even companies. I am always turned off immediately by any interviewee who states they can start by "tomorrow" unless they are already unemployed. Doing that to your current employer tells everyone you would do it to them too, and that really puts a company in a bind.

Never forget you might need something from your current company or fellow employees some day down the road, so don't burn any bridges when you go.

Good luck!

Do not tell anyone, not even friends at work, that you're thinking of leaving. Even friends at work can let it slip that you are thinking of leaving. Its general knowledge that you should find a new job before quitting the old one.

A lot of employers will just call your old job to verify that you did work there and for how long. Many employers avoid saying if you were a good employee or a bad employee because they don't want to be sued so they just verify if you did work there and for how long.

In your resume or applications you should put "currently working at ____

When you do interview for a new job, just tell the interviewer

"I'm looking for a permanent position with this company, because I respect it and I admire the way that they do ____ and _____ . I really want to be part of this team. I outgrew my old position and I'm ready to be challenged, I always admired this company and wanted to be part of the team here.

From everything I've read about the company its just where I want to be. It also seems that there are plenty of opportunities to move up for long-term employees. I look forward to that. "

"Because of the tough economy, I am looking to be hired first before leaving my old job."

If they ask you when you can start, say you can start in two weeks, you should state that since you are currently working that you want to give your boss your two weeks notice.

no be honest if they really call your company and your boss know maybe he will ask if he ask just explain to him or her the reason why are you looking for job.maybe after explain to your boss he or she will understand why you leave he or she might discuss with you and both of you might work out something too

No comments:

Post a Comment